My dogs love pumpkin, and they love it when I make them treats! However, I often find doggie treats a bit of a pain to roll out and have had trouble baking them to the right texture. I think I finally solved that problem today. I found this recipe from Greenling Local and only modified the baking part. The reason being is I wanted to get extra crispy all over, not just in the middle. Usually in the past when I’ve baked doggie treats at higher temperatures for shorter periods of time I would end up with crispy on the edges and soft in the middle. Not what I want. With this recipe I baked them at 250F for two hours and they turned out perfect. So pleased with them, as are my little furballs. It’s also a very easy recipe to make. Only takes a few minutes and rolls out quite quickly. Any cookie cutter will do. Hope your little furry kids enjoy these special treats!
- 3/4 cup squash puree (I used pumpkin)
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS all natural, organic peanut butter
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Additional flour for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 250F.
2. Mix squash, eggs, and peanut butter. Add flour one cup at a time until well blended.
3. Knead until smooth. Roll to 1/4″ inch thin (dowels help tremendously here). Cut into desired shapes. Note if you cut larger shapes, they will most likely have to bake longer.
4. Bake about two hours, or until hard.
Let the kids enjoy!