It’s spring time. Spring time screams for refreshing tastes, even in our cookies. Enter the Lemon Sugar Cookie. I don’ t know what it is about these cookies that makes them so good. I challenge you to eat just one! They are light, airy, lemony, and downright delicious.
And they are so fast to make. Like an hour, tops, including bake time. Can’t beat that, right? I got this recipe from culinary school, so I’m not sure of the original source. This cookie was also my first hands on baking test (and I got an A, in case you were wondering. I know you were!). And, these are not your traditional slice and bake type sugar cookies. These are drop cookies (so please don’t use this recipe for cut out cookies. It won’t work!) I used a scoop that was 1 1/2 TB. These would be perfect for a spring time picnic. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
Lemon Sugar Cookies
Yield: about 2 dozen
- 8 oz butter (2 sticks) room temp
- 7 oz sugar (just under 1 cup)
- 1 TB Brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 TB lemon zest
- 1 egg, room temp
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 10 oz flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Additional 1 cup sugar as needed for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Cream together the butter, sugars, salt, and zest in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment at medium speed for 5 minutes. Set a timer – the 5 minutes is very important to the fluffiness of the cookie!
3. Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until combined.
4. Whisk the flour and baking powder. Add to wet mixture and mix until combined. Careful not to overmix.
5. Line two sheet pans with silpat or parchment. Scoop cookies and roll in sugar. Place onto sheet pan and chill for about 10 minutes. Then flatten cookies slightly. Using a glass or ramekin is the easiest way.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until slightly golden on the edges. Watch carefully – they can overcook quickly!
7. Let cool on rack.